Connect with Us:  

FINA WC Day 6 - Men's Water Polo Match 17 & 18

Jul 18, 2003

Match 17, Men 09:30, 18.07.03
Quarters: 0-3, 0-5, 2-4, 1-1

Referees: Georgios Stavridis (GRE), Vladimir Golikov (RUS)

CANADA: Garrett Head, Andrey Shevstov, Dusan Lazarevic, Kevin Mitchell, Aaron Feltham, Adam Defett, David Allan, Vladimir Cosic, Thomas Marks (1), Noah Miller (2), Iain Lark, Nathaniel Miller, Michael Gordon
Coach: John Csikos

HUNGARY: Zoltan Szecsi, Tamas Varga (4), Norbert Madaras (1), Zsolt Varga, Tamas Kasas (3), Attila Vari (1), Gergely Kiss (1), Tibor Benedek (1), Rajmund Fodor, Istvan Gergely, Barnabas Steinmetz, Tamas Molnar (2), Peter Biros
Coach: Denes Kemeny

Hungary turned on some showmanship in defeating Canada in their final preliminary match. The major damage was done by Tamas Varga, who scored four goals. Varga scored his first off right hand catch in the first period as Hungary finished 3-1. He scored the first two of the next quarter, one on extra as Hungary swung the ball from the top right to far post, to deep left-hand catch and then to the near post. The other was with a lob shot. Hungary finished 8-0 up by halftime and went 9-0, through Varga on extra, before Noah Miller replied for Canada's first goal from the top, squeezing it into the bottom right. Tamas Molnar and Tibor Benedek scored on extra and then Miller struck again for Canada, this time on counter. Norbert Madaras rounded out the quarter for 12-2. Canada had by now warmed to the game and goalkeeper Garrett Head was stopping every shot thrown at him. Thomas Marks scored Canada's third but Kasas finally found a gap to score his third, 33 seconds from time.

Match 18, Men 10:45, 18.07.03
Quarters: 2-1, 2-3, 5-5, 3-0

Referees: Massimiliano Caputi (ITA), Joaquin Fernandez Escola (ESP)

CROATIA: Frano Vican, Damir Buric, Goran Volarevic, Dubravko Simenc (1), Tihomil Vranjes, Ratko Stritof (2), Mile Smodlaka, Teo Dogas (1), Nikola Frankovic (2), Samir Barac (1), Igor Hinic (3), Elvis Fatovic (2), Vjekoslav Kobescak
Coach: Zoran Roje

ROMANIA: Robert Dinu, Cosmin Radu (2), Florin Musat, Florin Bonca (1), Andrei Iosep, Dragos Stoenescu, Adrian Cretu (1), Robert Fieresteanu (1), Ramses Jurawle (4), Ionut Angelescu, Nicolae Diaconu, Kalman Kabar, Edward Andrei Dina
Coach: Dragan Jovonovic

This is was one of the most thrilling games of the tournament as Croatia was seeking at least a four-goal difference to win the group. The first quarter reaped just a 2-1 margin but on target. However, Romania didn't come to Croatia's party, instead levelling the game at 4-4 by halftime with a 3-2 period. Croatia could have had the edge at halftime but coach Zoran Roje called for a timeout as one of his players scored. The goal was disallowed and the extra-man was not converted. Then came the biggest quarter of the tournament as Romania made the play and Croatia had to keep coming from behind. When Ramses Jurawle scored his fourth at 1:51 of the third, Romania was 9-7 ahead but Croatia drew level with two goals in 44 seconds before the hooter. Ratko Stritof and Elvis Fatovic scored their second goals for 11-9 and the chances of winning the group were real. Nikola Frankovic took it to 12-9 at 1:13 and the four-goal difference beckoned. Croatia gained an extra-man attack and hit the crossbar. Romania had a timeout but missed. In the ensuing confusion, Frankovic has slipped away and was at the other end of the pool. He received the ball from his goalkeeper and inexplicably, with five seconds left, elected to shoot from seven metres. He hit the crossbar, effectively gifting the group to Hungary. If Frankovic had scored, Croatia would have won the group on the third tiebreak rule (who scored the most goals against Romania